A day in the life of an Assessment Consultant



Abbie Winter - Assessment Consultant

At the DOP conference a few weeks ago, I heard a presenter raise the question- “how do you apply for a job which you have never heard of?”. Now I don’t know of any young people who, when asked what they want to be when they grew up, said they wanted to be an assessment consultant. So, I thought I would shed some light on my role by sharing a typical day in the life.

08:00 – 09:00 I’m an early bird, so I like to beat the traffic to the office and get in early. This gives me time to make some breakfast, check my emails and get ready for the day.

09:00 – 10:00 Whenever we start a new client project, we have an internal kick off meeting. The internal team working on the project will have a virtual meeting over webcam where we discuss the project, the solutions we’ll be designing and roles and responsibilities within the team.

10:00 – 10:30 Time for a weekly client conference call. Today it’s with a tax accountancy firm who we support with their Graduate recruitment. We’re able to check on how their assessment centres are going, review their application flow and start sharing ideas for how to make their assessment process even better for the next campaign.

10:30 – 12:00 The rest of the morning is spent conducting interviews with stakeholders at a Utility company. I’m interviewing them to conduct job analysis, which will be used to inform their new leadership development programme.

12:00 – 13:00 Lunchtime. If its sunny I’ll go for a stroll around the business park, or if I’m working from home I’ll try and get in a quick run to stretch my legs.

13:00 – 16:30 Now it’s time to focus on some client work: I’m writing a feedback report which will be send to candidate’s after they’ve completed a situational strengths test. The report supports candidates to leverage their strengths within their new graduate role at a major high-street bank.

16:30 – 17:30 I end the day by spending some time on regular project management tasks. This could be updating project plans, drafting agendas for meetings this week, or creating updates for stakeholders on the progress of their projects.

This is a fairly ‘typical’ day, but I guess the very nature of consultancy work means that every day is different. I may be desk based one day, visiting a client the next, or spending a couple of days away to run development centres for a client. Luckily, adaptability is one of my top realised strengths, so I love all the variety that my job brings!

Comments