Strengths in Action - Don't judge a book by it's cover...


Katie Higgs - Client Services Partner

We all judge and we all make judgments every day. Something I try to do is make a conscious effort not to judge other people.

Everyone has worked their way up and started from the beginning, why treat people differently depending on what their paycheque says? We all have a part to play in society, working life and our home life. No job is more important than anyone else’s (except maybe the Queens!) Albert Einstein said, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

When my mum used to get road rage on the way to school I’d tell her “Don’t get so angry, you don’t know what that person is going through”, and I’d turn on the classical music station as opposed to the blaring music of Radio 1. (Now I’m having driving lessons I can see why people get so cross!) However, I try to practice what I preached all those years ago!

“Treat people how you want to be treated”. It’s a mantra of mine I use daily.

I hadn’t really thought much about the word Unconditionality until I came to work for Capp & Co Ltd and found it is my top strength after taking a Strengths Profile Assessment.

Unconditionality is something, now looking back, I know I have always had. I like to think I see the beauty in everyone even if a person doesn’t always come across as particularity nice!

When someone disagrees with me or somehow makes my life difficult, I try to remember that it’s typically not about me. It may be about their pain or struggle. Why not give others the benefit of the doubt?

My role at Capp is to essentially help people. Whether it’s booking a room, printing documents or explaining how a programme works, I love the satisfaction of a successful result. Whether it’s guiding people in our Strengths Profile Platform, showing them how to create an account or a Team, or talking to a client on what products we offer, that satisfaction of knowing I helped someone through part of their day makes me feel motivated and energised.

No matter what people may have done, or who they may be, I accept everyone the same.

Comments