Capp Award Winner - Natalie Coombs




To say I was shocked when they announced I’d won the ‘Rising Star of the Year’ award is a pretty big understatement, but a lovely surprise. I joined Capp in June 2018 as a Creative Development Consultant, designing our development content in the then newly formed Development Solutions team. Being a new, very lean team, there was lots of opportunity for me to get involved across the spectrum of client projects, at all levels.

I’m a big advocate of continuous lifelong learning, considering myself to be an eternal student. Formal learning has never really been my forte, I seem to lose interest the moment a syllabus is presented. I’ve discovered that learning doesn’t always need to be formal or directly relevant, but fluid, fun and convenient, seamlessly incorporated into life. It should be something we want to do, rather than have to do. I’ve always loved to read and enjoy getting lost in a story. My relatively new discovery of podcasts has become a staple part of my day, fuelling my curiosity and entertaining my commute to and from work.

Research actually shows the average employee only has around 24 minutes a week for learning (Source: Meet the modern learner - Bersin by Deloitte). Finding creative ways to maximise the small windows of time in the day to read or listen to something new, in my experience can be transformational. I’m very lucky that my role at Capp allows me to take something I love to do and apply it to the solutions we create for our clients. My wonderful team are one of kind, they truly do embody the Strengths methodology of Capp and I’m so grateful to work with such awesome and supportive people.

Learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.’ - Eric Hoffer, American moral and social philosopher.

Comments